Purpose and background
Are you a capable SQL data engineer who is passionate about the power of data to solve environmental issues? CDP are looking for a SQL data engineer to shape delivery by collaborating with data architects and modellers to contribute to the acquisition of corporate data requirements, documenting them according to the required standards utilising the prescribed methods and Azure data tools, in order to build our centralised data platform.
This is a permanent role, with responsibility for developing, constructing, testing and maintaining architectures such as data pipelines and large-scale data processing warehouses. They will leverage industry best practice while delivering changes, such as agile backlogs, code repositories, automated builds, testing and releases. They will be responsible for ensuring data scientists can pull relevant data sets for their analyses, and implement data pipelines to connect operational systems, data for analytics and BI systems. They will re-engineer manual data flows to enable automation, scaling and repeatable use and develop data set processes for data modelling, mining and production.
The post holder will work closely with data architects (to determine what data management systems are appropriate) and data scientists (to determine which data are needed for analysis). They will provide clean, usable data to the business through the data platform in accordance with governance, and analyse, design, plan, execute and evaluate data requirements to support business activities and projects. The post holder will be central in ensuring the delivery of world-class digital products and changing the delivery culture in CDP.
About CDP's Data Engineering team:
The Data Engineering Team’s primary remit is to improve the usability of the climate change, water, forests and cities data disclosed to CDP through robust and transparent methods. The team will create sustainable data pipelines for data quality monitoring, data cleaning, reporting and data science modelling. Harmonised data collected from external sources will enrich the data assets’ value and enhance accessibility for CDP’s stakeholders. The team will produce value-adding insight delivering it through data products that help internal and external stakeholders to better understand the quantitative and qualitative results of their actions. This in turn helps stakeholders to make data-led decisions and optimise for all constraints. Through every stage the data assets are governed by the industry practice standards in a robust and transparent manner.
Key responsibilities include:
- Managing the investigation of cities data requirements, documenting them according to the required standards utilising the prescribed methods and tools
- Implementing data flows to connect operational systems, data for analytics and BI systems. Re-engineer manual data flows to enable scaling and repeatable use
- Working closely with data architects (to determine what data management systems are appropriate) and data scientists (to determine what data is needed for analysis).
- Tackling problems associated with database integration and unstructured data sets
- Ensuring that those using the data structures and associated components have a good understanding and that any queries are dealt with promptly and efficiently
- In liaison with the information management or IT management functions, contributing to the development and maintenance of corporate data standards.
- ability to create efficient DW or DL structures to minimise cost of orchestration / processing and ingestion of data
Required skills and experience:
- Strong technical process understanding regardless of technology
- Wide range of strong technical skills (i.e. Azure Devops, Azure Data Factory, Azure Data Bricks, Azure SQL, python)
- Very strong core SQL Competencies – SSMS, SSIS, T-SQL, Stored Procedures
- ADF Pipelines to build and populate SQL databases
- Very high attention to detail
- Strong communication skills
- Efficient in building ETL and ELT processes for enterprise solutions
- Strong software delivery methods and knowledge
- Strong performance-tuning skills
Desired skills and experience
- Experience in .Net scripting
- Experience with migrations from on-prem to cloud
- Experience in performance tuning SQL databases
- Exposure to Climate Change data legislation, practices and stakeholders
- Experience in Environmental related industries i.e Water, Energy, Forestry related
- Presentation skills
- Understanding of architecting solutions taking into account wider considerations
- Structured problem solving techniques
This is a permanent full time role, reporting to the Head of Data Engineering, which will be delivered remotely to start with. The post holder will be required to travel to CDP’s London office from time to time when it reopens.
Interested applicants must be eligible to work legally in the United Kingdom.
Before you apply
We’ll only use the information you provide to process your application. For more details on how we use your information, see our applicants privacy notice. By emailing us your CV and covering letter, you are permitting CDP to use the information you have provided for recruitment purposes.
To apply please upload your CV and a covering letter as an additional document in the application form setting out how you meet the required skills and experience or key responsibilities, which should be no more than two pages. The deadline is 19th November.