Job Purpose and Background
CDP’s Global Policy and Data Analytics teams are looking for a skilled and enthusiastic data analyst who is passionate about using data to drive companies, investors, and governments to build a thriving economy which works for people and planet.
- Are you passionate about environmental issues?
- Are you excited to use your technical and analytical skills to make a difference and help us create a climate safe, deforestation free and water secure future?
- Would you enjoy enabling a policy-facing team in an international non-profit organization to pursue its mission through the creation of insights tools for deriving maximum impact from corporate and government environmental data?
Government action is crucial to fighting environmental impacts. CDP helps policymakers to achieve their goals and protect the climate and the environment by providing decision makers with access to a critical source of global data that delivers the evidence and insight required to drive non-state actor environmental action.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual to join CDP’s Global Policy team. This position is an exciting opportunity to apply technical, analytical and data visualization skills in the context of an environmental NGO that works with governments across the world to drive legislation on climate change mitigation, water security and halting deforestation.
The successful candidate will be a driven, self-motivated candidate with a background in data analysis and visualization. You will have a deep understanding of data management tools and you will be able to draw key messages out of complex analysis. You should be passionate about CDP’s mission and be able to spot opportunities to develop integrated and inclusive multi-sectoral approaches to data and insights for policymakers.
CDP is an international non-profit that drives companies and governments to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions, safeguard water resources and protect forests. Over 13,000 companies and 1,100 cities, states and regions disclose their environmental data to CDP. Our platform is one of the richest sources of information globally on how companies and governments are driving environmental change. By working with institutional investors with assets of US$110 trillion, we leverage investor and buyer power to motivate companies to disclose and manage their environmental impacts. Visit https://cdp.net/en or follow us @CDP to find out more.
Key responsibilities include:
Data analysis and visualisation
- Analysing the data reported by corporations, subnational governments and financial services (e.g. emission figures and zero deforestation targets) to identify trends and impacts;
- Developing creative and eye-catching data visualizations to communicate key messages for use in presentations, public reports, policy briefings, etc;
- Facilitating the internal and external accessibility, usability and analysis of CDP’s data;
- Managing data platform for policy makers;
- Developing and updating tools to deliver data analysis to policymakers and identifying opportunities to streamline processes;
- Determine optimal data delivery methods and formats and support in the operationalization of identified requirements;
- Preparing high-quality briefing materials on the basis of CDP data, incl. preparation of CDP statements to public consultations of legislative proposals;
- Develop and maintain guidance documents for CDP data sets.
Coordination & organisation
- Sketching out and implementing efficient processes and structures to gather and deliver on data needs and requests internal and external;
- Continuously improving overall data management and delivery processes;
- Support the organization of events, workshops and webinars;
- Assisting with ad-hoc tasks as required.
- BA/BSc degree in fields such as business, data science, data analysis and visualization, computer science, political science (if with major in statistics), etc.;
- At least 2 years of data analysis experience using R/Python.
- Excellent data visualization skills using Power BI or similar tools.
- Experience of SQL (or T-SQL).
- Extraordinary data wrangling skills.
- Strong numeracy and good statistical skills.
- A team player with the ability to work under pressure.
- Great attention to detail and commitment to achieving high standards
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Excellent English skills (verbal and written);
- Interested applicants must be eligible to work legally in either the UK or the EU.
Desired skills and experience:
- A good understanding of GHG accounting methods and sustainability data.
- An awareness of environmental issues, particularly as they relate to our core themes of Climate Change, Deforestation and Water Security.
- Advanced knowledge of CRM systems, particularly MS Dynamics, is an advantage
- Familiarity with GitHub
What we offer
- Exciting and challenging tasks in a dynamic, innovative and highly motivated team;
- Working with many dedicated and passionate people for a good cause;
- Competitive NGO salary and annual bonus (depending on company results);
- 30 days annual holidays;
- Flexible working hours;
- Company Pension;
- Other benefits depending on location (London or Berlin offices)
The salary range is 37,840 - 42,000 Euros. This is a full-time role based at either the CDP office in London or the CDP office in Berlin, reporting to the Global Policy Director. The role is for a fixed term contract of one year, with the expectation of further extension, depending on performance and funding.
Before you apply
We’ll only use the information you provide to process your application. For more details on how we use your information, see our applicants privacy notice. By submitting your CV and covering letter, you are permitting CDP to use the information you have provided for recruitment purposes.
How to apply
Please upload your CV in the application form along with a covering letter as an additional document setting out how you meet the required skills and experience or key responsibilities, which should be no more than two pages. The deadline is 23:59 GMT Wednesday 17th of August 2022. As we plan to fill this position as quickly as possible, we invite interested applicants to apply early. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis, and we reserve the right to close the call when a suitable candidate has been identified.