Are you looking to join the global race to stabilise both the environment and the economy? Are you looking for a role that combines your professional experience with an ethical focus? CDP is where business leaders, financiers and policymakers turn for innovative, systemic solutions. This is an exciting, impact-oriented role working on a globally significant issue – the global water crisis. You will contribute to driving the day-to-day operations of the Water Security Team globally and be involved in the delivery and management of key outputs, analysis and strategic relationships. You will support the production of cutting-edge research, advocacy and innovation to mobilise the world’s largest coalition of non-state actors to tackle the global water crisis. You will be responsible for leading delivery of at least one funded project within the suite of the Water Security team. Ultimately, you will be working to put water at the heart of business, financial and policy decision-making.
For project deliverables, the successful candidate will work with various teams across CDP and external project partners to ensure the highest impact is achieved; deliver key interventions such as thought leadership research, capacity building and engagement; provide day-to-day coordination of activities across internal functions and teams; and will own relationship management and reporting back to senior directors.
CDP is a global non-profit that drives companies and governments to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions, safeguard water resources and protect forests. Voted number one climate research provider by investors and working with over 590 institutional investors with assets of over US$110 trillion, we leverage investor and buyer power to motivate companies to disclose and manage their environmental impacts. Over 9,600 companies with over 50% of global market capitalization disclosed environmental data through CDP in 2020. This is in addition to more than 940 cities, states and regions who disclosed, making CDP’s platform one of the richest sources of information globally on how companies and governments are driving environmental change. CDP is a founding member of the We Mean Business Coalition.
About the team
Established a decade ago, CDP’s innovative Water Security initiative has driven a step change in the way in which the private sector engages with water issues. As we turn our sights to the future, we are seeking a dynamic individual to join our Water Security Team and support the delivery of CDP’s Water Security Strategy globally.
Key responsibilities include:
- Cooperating with teams across the organization, including CDP’s regional offices, to achieve our objectives on water security, as set out in the global water security strategy, with a focus on:
- Supporting effective corporate action and engagement globally
- Supporting effective investor engagement and action
- Supporting CDP’s global policy and public affairs team, with a focus on the Sustainable Development Goals and grant deliverables
- Supporting CDP’s engagement on water security with cities, states and regions.
- Supporting the development of the water security questionnaire, scoring methodology and accompanying guidance. This includes building thought leadership knowledge from CDP’s 4 main stakeholders: corporations, investors, policy makers and cities
- Supporting the development and execution of CDP’s water security strategy through carefully planned research, data and insight gathering. This includes leading on annual analysis and production of CDP’s global water security reporting output
- Organising, executing and supporting CDP’s water security work, presenting at selected events and preparing and giving webinars where appropriate
- Collaborating on projects and initiatives both within and outside of CDP, that advance our water security strategy
- Building water-related capacity within companies and investors via webinars, workshops, briefing notes and public speaking.
- Engaging networks and convening and attending workshops.
- Leading relationship management with the project team and partners.
- Supporting donor reporting requirements for CDP (including performance reporting).
- Tracking progress against planned outcomes
- Support fundraising efforts for CDP’s work on water security globally.
The precise description and nature of your job may vary from time to time, and you may be required to carry out other duties as necessary to meet business needs.
Required skills and experience:
- A degree level qualification in environmental science, engineering or sustainability related discipline (MSc degree preferred), ideally specializing in water management/corporate sustainability.
- At least 4 years applied professional industry experience, in either the private, finance, science/engineering, or policy sectors with significant experience of advancing water agendas in any of these sectors.
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of the global water issues and the role of corporations and investors
- Strong quantitative data analysis skills and experience in using and maintaining databases.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including a high standard of written English, with previous experience of producing written research outputs (preferably for a corporate audience)
- Detail-oriented and organized thinker who can juggle multiple, competing priorities
- Proven ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Passion, confidence, and initiative. A self-starter who can work independently and part of cross-functional teams in a matrix organisation.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively and efficiently with team members of different technical and cultural backgrounds.
- Excellent and/or advanced experience of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- At least three years demonstrable experience in managing projects.
Desired skills and experience:
- An ability to quickly process complex information and bring new perspectives to solve challenges.
- An understanding of the corporate reporting landscape and investor expectations around water security (e.g., CDP, GRI, CEO Water mandate, TCFD, SBTN).
- Experience of working in a global, non-profit organization.
- Effective influencing skills.
- Strong diplomacy skills and experience in working across multiple teams.
- Experience of managing projects, including budgets, reporting, monitoring and evaluation.
This is a full time, permanent contract based at CDP’s headquarters in Central London, UK; reporting to the Associate Director – Water Security. Flexible working is fully embraced by the organisation and we encourage you to explore this at interview.
Salary and benefits: range £37,643 to £40,000 dependent on experience, annual discretionary bonus scheme (dependent on company performance), 30 days’ holiday excluding bank holidays, a generous non-contributory pension provision, life assurance, and others.
Before you apply
Interested applicants must be eligible to work legally in the UK. CDP does not sponsor visas.
We’ll only use the information you provide to process your application. For more details on how we use your information, see our . By uploading your CV and covering letter, you are permitting CDP to use the information you have provided for recruitment purposes.
How to apply:
Please upload your CV in the application form along with a covering letter as an additional document setting out how you meet the required skills and experience or key responsibilities, which should be no more than one page.
The deadline is midnight GMT on 5th June 2022. Interviews shall take place week commencing 13th June, with the role to start as soon as possible. Please note that while all applications are reviewed, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.