Senior Policy and Public Affairs Officer
Job Purpose and Background
• Are you passionate about environmental and climate-forests policy?
• Would you enjoy collaborating with various stakeholders for sustainable development goals and ambitions?
• Do you believe that non-state actor action data is vital to inform policy makers to create a conducive and coherent policy framework on corporate reporting and governance, sustainable finance and sub-national/local government action that dives the implementation of the sustainable development goals and net zero emissions?
We are seeking a highly motivated individual to support CDP Policy works in Indonesia. CDP Policy team engages policy makers by providing analyses and insights on non-state actor climate and environmental transparency, action and progress towards the environmental goals.
If you want to make your mark in a professional and fast paced NGO, this the role for you. You will be building relationships with policy makers and wider stakeholders for an environmentally and economically sustainable future. You will provide insights of the non-state actors environment actions and progress towards the government environment commitment.
CDP is an international non-profit that drives companies and governments to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions, safeguard water resources and protect forests. Voted number one climate research provider by investors and working with institutional investors with assets of US$96 trillion, we leverage investor and buyer power to motivate companies to disclose and manage their environmental impacts.
About CDP’s forests program
CDP’s forests program works to remove commodity driven deforestation from corporate value chains to effectively contribute to a below 1.5⁰C, water secure world; and to decouple deforestation from forest risk commodity production. CDP’s work on forests was launched in 2014 and now boasts the backing of 525 financial institutions with over $96 trillion in assets. The program provides critical forests related data from the world’s largest corporations that buy, sell or trade key forests risk commodities (cattle products, palm oil, soy products and timber). The data is used to inform the global marketplace on investment risk and commercial opportunity, and to catalyze action, supporting companies in their efforts to remove deforestation from their supply chains.
Please visit www.cdp.net or follow us @CDP to find out more.
Key responsibilities include:
- Monitor the policy landscape, identify relevant opportunities for engagement such as through public consultations, and coordinate and author responses, briefings and reports, and support drafting speaker’s briefing and input to events of other teams
- Engaging directly with policy makers on non-state actors’ actions towards sustainable development goals and net zero commitment (through phone calls, one-to-one meetings, presentations, workshops or other outreach methods);
- Responsible for data analysis and generate insights on Indonesia non-state actors’ actions based on CDP data or other sources;
- Developing and pro-actively providing information and assistance to CDP colleagues on using the policy context for their own understanding and in the communication with companies, capital market actors, cities, states and regions;
- Responsible for organization and execution of high-quality roundtables, workshops and webinars in virtual and in-person setting;
- Representing CDP and supporting CDP representatives in NGO group, CDP partner networks and governmental expert groups;
- Management of internal tools and processes, including the policy contacts database and M&E systems
The successful candidate will have:
- A university degree in Environment, Public Policy, Sustainability, or another related subjects
- At least 3-4 years relevant experience with governments; additional experience in working with subnational governments, companies, financial institutions or NGO is an advantage;
- A good understanding of Indonesia policy landscape, sustainability development strategy, and non-state actor actions in its wider range; forests, climate, sustainable finance, sustainable supply chains, renewable energy, resilient cities, etc;
- Track record of producing outputs for policy audience (e.g. public submissions) and of event management;
- Strong data analytical skills and ability to draw key messages out of complex research;
- Strong personal drive, demonstrate ability to take initiative, multi-task, prioritise and work under pressure;
- Excellent communication and presentation skills both written and verbal; ability to explain complex or challenging topics clearly and succinctly;
- At ease in stakeholder-facing situations, excellent sense for interpersonal contact, and confidence in treating with high-level representatives from public and private sectors, using determination and diplomacy;
- Project management experience;
- Attention to detail with good research, writing and drafting skills;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office;
- Mastering statistical program such as Stata, Minitab, Power BI or others is highly desirable;
- Ability to quickly grasp and master new IT system;
- Willing to travel;
- Proficiency in Bahasa and English.
This is a full-time role based in Jakarta reporting to the Policy Engagement Manager, Forests with close collaboration with the Forests team. The role is a fixed term contract until November 2022, with the possibility of further extension.
Salary and benefits
Salary and benefits are dependent on experience. We provide an annual discretionary bonus, 16 days holidays plus public holidays, the opportunity to work flexibly and many others.
Before you apply
We’ll only use the information you provide to process your application. For more details on how we use your information, see our applicants privacy notice. By emailing us your CV and covering letter, you are permitting CDP to use the information you have provided for recruitment purposes.
To apply please email your CV and a covering letter setting out how you meet the required skills and experience or key responsibilities, which should be no more than two pages, to email@example.com with ‘Senior Policy and Public Affairs Officer’ in the subject. The deadline is 24 May 2022.
Please note that we only provide feedback to shortlisted candidates. If you do not hear from us within 14 days of the submission deadline, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.