Job Purpose and Background in summary
Are you excited by the idea of working in a dynamic team to transform, change and improve digital technologies which underpin and drive the critical business process of an environmental non-profit?
Dependable, efficient, innovative, and effective technology services are critical to the core function of CDP and enabling it to deliver its core mission. As part of its strategic ambitions CDP is transforming its business, technology and data capabilities to realize its strategic goals of higher impact, improved stakeholder experience and disclosure information.
The core business operation of CDP is using data on climate, water and forest sustainability disclosed by companies, organisations, cities, states and regions globally to drive awareness and action to improve the way society impacts the environment.
The Software Engineer has a critical role to develop web-facing and enabled applications which are performant, secure and deliver an optimum experience for our internal and external users. The Web product team is responsible for the development and operational support of CDP’s web applications, micro-services and APIs. The function works closely with Disclosure and stakeholder teams to ensure this product delivers to them.
CDP is a global non-profit that drives companies and governments to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions, safeguard water resources and protect forests. Voted number one climate research provider by investors and working with over 590 institutional investors with assets of over US$110 trillion, we leverage investor and buyer power to motivate companies to disclose and manage their environmental impacts. Over 9,600 companies with over 50% of global market capitalization disclosed environmental data through CDP in 2020. This is in addition to more than 940 cities, states and regions who disclosed, making CDP’s platform one of the richest sources of information globally on how companies and governments are driving environmental change. CDP is a founding member of the We Mean Business Coalition. Visit https://cdp.net/en or follow us @CDP to find out more.
Key responsibilities include:
- To build and maintain system components and integrate them with the other systems to meet the business requirements.
- Work with colleagues to understand their requirements and ideas and develop the applications into an effective user experience.
- Support both development and operations requirements of CDP’s web and integration platforms.
- Providing significant input into weekly sprint planning.
- Aware of and addressing known security vulnerabilities, applying security by design.
- Shape and complete documentation.
- Provide advanced, technical component support.
- Contribute to Test Planning and execution.
- Resolve issues prior to and following testing.
You will have the following skills and experience:
- Software engineering skills, using Ruby on Rails (5 or higher) with a minimum of 2-3 years experience in building complex browser-based web apps.
- Backend database expertise specific to Ruby on Rails applications focused on query performance, and background processing with Sidekiq, and DelayedJob.
- TDD/BDD using RSpec, Capybara.
- Strong GitFlow experience
- Understanding Docker, container orchestration systems and continuous integration
- Defined multiple technology strategies and then taking these into delivery and operations
- A team player who can operate in small or large groups
- Successful track record in delivery of large programs and small hands-on software development,
- Confident written and oral communication skills, in English.
Desirable criteria (optional)
- Experienced in Agile or DevOps methodologies
- Expertise in MS Transact-SQL
- Skills in Azure DevOps, Azure portal including API management, Blob storage
- Experience in CRM systems and processes
This is a full-time role based at CDP’s London office reporting to the Senior Software Engineer.
Salary and benefits: 52k - 55k per annum, 30 days holiday plus bank holidays, generous non-contributory pension provision, Employee Assistance Programme, life assurance, training and development, flexible working opportunities and other benefits.
Interested applicants must be eligible to work legally in the UK. We cannot sponsor this role.
Before you apply
We’ll only use the information you provide to process your application. For more details on how we use your information, see our applicant’s privacy notice. By uploading your CV and covering letter, you are permitting CDP to use the information you have provided for recruitment purposes.
How to apply:
Please upload your CV in the application form along with a covering letter as an additional document setting out how you meet the required skills and experience or key responsibilities, which should be no more than two pages. The deadline is 26th July 2022.