Job Purpose and Background in summary
We are seeking a highly motivated individual to join CDP’s Climate Change team as a Cities Manager, Science-Based Targets, to support CDP’s ambitious aim of driving the uptake of science-based climate targets by hundreds of cities worldwide. Cities setting and acting on science-based climate targets is crucial to meeting the challenge of reducing global emissions by half by 2030 and to net-zero by 2050. The Cities Manager, Science-Based Targets will be responsible for delivering CDP’s Science-Based Targets for cities strategy which by 2025 aims to increase the number of cities setting science-based climate targets and making progress towards them. This involves embedding science-based target support into core CDP disclosure support mechanisms, ensuring the CDP-ICLEI Track questionnaire is updated to align with the latest science-based targets knowledge and to enable progress tracking against science-based targets, and collaborating with external partners to develop technical science-based target validation processes and guidance for cities.
CDP is a not-for-profit charity that runs the global disclosure system for investors, companies, cities, states and regions to manage their environmental impacts. The world’s economy looks to CDP as the gold standard of environmental reporting with the richest and most comprehensive dataset on corporate and city action. In 2021 we launched our new five-year strategy: Accelerating the Rate of Change - find out more here. Visit https://cdp.net/en or follow us @CDP to find out more.
Key responsibilities include:
- Deliver the science-based climate targets for cities strategy in CDP’s Cities, States and Regions team and contribute to the aims and objectives of the CDP strategy, Cities, States and Regions program plan and funding deliverables aligned with city-level science-based emissions reductions.
- Ensure technical advice and support for cities to set science-based targets is embedded in CDP’s core disclosure support mechanisms.
- Collaborate with external partners in the Science-Based Targets Network to develop technical science-based climate target validation criteria and guidance for cities.
- Contribute to developing a methodology to track city progress against science-based climate targets through the CDP-ICLEI Track questionnaire.
- Liaise with CDP questionnaire and scoring teams to ensure the CDP-ICLEI Track questionnaire and CDP scoring is updated to align with the latest knowledge on science-based climate targets, enable target validation and tracking city progress against targets.
- Ensure delivery of checks on CDP-ICLEI Track cities’ targets for alignment with science-based target methodologies, and feed this into CDP scoring.
- Develop capacity-building resources and tools for cities and CDP staff to increase knowledge on setting science-based climate targets.
- Act as CDP’s point of contact for the Cities Race to Zero.
- Contribute to CDP’s thought leadership in emerging areas of science-based targets for cities.
The precise description and nature of your job may be varied from time to time, and you may be required to carry out other duties as necessary to meet business needs.
You will have the following skills and experience:
- Degree educated and a minimum of 3 years’ working experience in a relevant field (Environment/Sustainability-related degree desirable)
- Demonstrable understanding of climate change mitigation and adaptation challenges faced by cities
- Knowledge of GHG accounting methodologies
- Excellent data analysis and research skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- The ability to clearly communicate complex information to a non-expert audience
- Experience in managing external relationships where various stakeholders with competing priorities/views come together and need to agree on a joint way forward
- Attention to detail and commitment to achieving high standards
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word, Power Point)
- Knowledge of existing approaches used by cities to set science-based climate targets
- Experience developing methodologies, guidance materials and/or tools
- Experience working with or for city or local governments
- Knowledge of programming language (python, SQL or equivalent)
- Experience managing projects
- A high level of self-motivation and drive
This is a full-time role based at CDP’s London office reporting into the Climate Change team and matrix-managed by Senior Technical Manager, Cities, States and Regions. This is a fixed-term contract for two years, with possibility of extension.
Salary and benefits: £40,000-45,000 per annum, 30 days’ holiday plus bank holidays, generous non-contributory pension provision, Employee Assistance Programme, life assurance, training and development, flexible working opportunities and other benefits.
Interested applicants must be eligible to work legally in the UK. We cannot sponsor this role.
Before you apply
We’ll only use the information you provide to process your application. For more details on how we use your information, see our applicant’s privacy notice. By uploading your CV and covering letter, you are permitting CDP to use the information you have provided for recruitment purposes.
How to apply:
Please upload your CV in the application form along with a covering letter as an additional document setting out how you meet the required skills and experience or key responsibilities, which should be no more than two pages.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with a final deadline of midnight Sunday 11th December 2022, but we reserve the right to close early if we find the right applicant. We are looking for the successful candidate to start as soon as possible.